Thursday, April 21, 2011

Diction of the Monster

"My days were spent in close attention, that I might more speedily master the language; and I may boast that I improved more rapidly than the Arabian, who understood very little and conversed in broken accents, whilst I comprehend and could imitate almost every word that was spoken." -pg 84

When the monster first started telling of how he learned to speak the human language, I noticed specific words and passages that showed his drastic improvement. When humans learn to speak (as babies) it takes YEARS to perfect speech and vocabulary, but it took the monster barely a year to communicate. Of course it is a fictional story, but I think the rapid development of the monster had to be placed in the story in order for the plot to unfold. The diction of the monster in the passage above illustrates the high level of vocabulary that he has acquired. Words such as "boast", "conversed", and "comprehend" are all words that a first-grader would not know...let alone a creation only a year old. The diction the monster expresses throughout the novel continues to show his development and shows his great ability to learn and acquire knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment