Thursday, April 21, 2011

Benevolence and Irony

"This was then the reward of my benevolence! I had saved a human being from destruction, and as a recompense I now writhed under the miserable pain of a wound which shattered the flesh and bone...Inflamed by pain I vowed eternal hatred and vengeance to all mankind. But the agony of my wound overcame me.." pg 101

The whole first half of the novel had a central theme of kindness. All the main characters were described as being benevolent and gentle beings. The irony comes in when the monster is first rejected. He is simply rejected due to his deformed appearance - no one even takes the time to listen or to get to know him. In my opinion, this is a complete LACK of benevolence.. and it just seems to keep happening (the family, the young girl, and William). It seems extremely ironic that these people, and mankind in general, are apparently kind and genuine but then they turn around and treat someone who is different the exact opposite. It reminds me of all the prejudices we have in our world today. Everyone claims to be a good person, but most have underlying and unnecessary feelings of hatred.

No comments:

Post a Comment