Friday, August 13, 2010

The Wise One


"The man who opened the door that day is the hero on my life. How do I say this without sounding sappy? Blurt it out - the man saved me." (pages 45-46)

Man this chapter has alot to take in! The old man who kept the inn on the river was said to be O'Brien's savior. He continues to tell how the old man just sat back and listened. he offered no questions, but indeed gave the young boy (O'Brien) everything he needed with silence. It also amazes me that the old man somehow knew the entire situation by the end of the six days, even though no words in that direction were spoken. On page 51 when they are settling the expenses and wages, the old man says something sort of hinting he knew. "Pick it up. Get yourself a haircut." Woah. Don't all soldiers get a certain haircut before shipped to their destination? Gooooood writing O'Brien.

Anyway, in times like these I certainly hate to be alone, but also hate to be bothered and questioned - only making the matter at hand worse. I can relate to this scenerio greatly!! Thank's to the old man, Elroy Berdahl, O'Brien figured out his duty.

1 comment: