Friday, August 13, 2010

Ashamed and Embarrassed.

After asking questions about the undefined war, O'Brien continues to tell his most secret story. A story almost more powerful and significant to the audience than any combat stories later to come. Run away to Canada to avoid reality? Lose whole life and all dreams and goals because of one minor flaw - embarrassment.

"It had nothing to do with morality. Embarrassment, that's all it was...I would go to the war - I would kill and maybe die - because I was embarrassed not to." (page 57)

I connect this scene with certain times in all teenage lives. Maybe its not something as terrible as war, but it is a common occurence. I'm sure all of us have had a moment in our lives where we thought running away was the answer, and we were most definitely going to do it, if it were'nt for that mere guilt we had. Guilty, ashamed, and most of all embarassed of what those close to us would think. What people would say if we disappeared to ease our stress. I admit it, I've thought about it many times. From things as simple as not doing well on a test to fights with my parents, it's happened. Of course none of these occurences are as important as the war.

1 comment:

  1. this chapter, maybe more than any other, seems to hit readers pretty hard.

    ReplyDelete