Friday, August 13, 2010

Mary Anne

The girl went crazy. The story, according to Rat Kiley, is probably the most interesting story I've read in the novel. I have yet to realize exactly what the purpose of Mary Anne's story is..although I have some ideas. As liberal and anti-sexist as I am, I do believe that women/young girls do not belong in war. The affects of war - killing, guts, glory, blood, craziness, sorrow, guilt - even haunts the average man (for example, Tim O'Brien). I can only imagine what a woman would come back with if she went to war. Women are just naturally more emotional than men, scientifically proven (a little thing called estrogen!). In my opinion, Mary Anne simply went nuts. Everything around her was too much, but not too much to run away. Just too much to handle. She was drowned with curiousity of everything going on around her, she finally snapped. I am still trying to wrap my brain around this specific war story.... trying to figure the underlying meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment