Friday, August 13, 2010

Sorrow and Guilt

War. Obviously where casualities are normal. Killing is expected. In my opinion, Tim O'Brien includes this chapter (pages 118-124 - The Man I Killed) to release his guilt. If this story is true...which I believe it is..then I think he needed someway to let it all out of his head. He gives such clear, vivid detail of the man. He even imagines some of his goals and dreams and background. Although I would also need to release guilt and sorrow if I was in his position, I for sure would not feel bad about it. I mean, this is war. If someone of the enemy was near, with a weapon, I would feel almost happy/relieved to make the kill!!! In some way, the story reveals to the audience a little of O'Brien's character. A sensitive and gentle boy/man, not one to kill willingly and often.

1 comment:

  1. check (Kelsi, when I checked the blogs at the due date (11 pm on 8/13), this was the most recent entry, which makes 14 out of 20.) If that's incorrect, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete