Thursday, July 8, 2010

He's whipped.

Pages 56, 57, and 58 lay out the real relationship between Robert Cohn and Frances.
The awkward conversation between Frances, Robert, and Jake occurs rather suddenly. Frances reveals that Robert is leaving her to find some sort of "new material" for his new writing, but actually she is being sarcastic. In my opinion, the underlying meaning is that Robert will not marry her.
"I know the real reason why Robert won't marry me...Why you see, Roberts always wantrd to have a mistress, and if he doesn't marry me, then he's had one." (page 58)



Frances continues to scold Robert in front of Jake, illustrating how controlling and bitter she is about the whole situation. I feel sorry for poor Robert sitting there taking the ridicule...and it seems that Jake does too.

No comments:

Post a Comment