Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Lottery - question #1

What is a "lottery"? How does this title lead you to expect something very different from what the story presents?

Throughout the entire story, I was under the assumption that this "lottery" was a positivie thing. Many reasons led me to believe this. First of all, the lottery is a common "game" people play to recieve money or rewards, ect. My simple knowledge of OUR lottery made me infere that this specific one would be similar, or at least positive. Secondly, the way the narrator addressed the event was, in a way, complacent. No negative diction or hints stood out to me towards the beginning when it was being described. Finally, the attitude of the characters through me off guard as well. There is no great sign of fear or worry in the crowd. The narrator merely mentions a sense of aniexty, which could be related to positive excitment. Because the author does this, the ending is truly a moment of surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment