Wednesday, November 3, 2010

How I Met My Husband

The structure of this short story by Alice Munro is not what one would think of as typical. It begins by giving background of Edie, the main character. It also characterizes the other people who play a role in the story such as: Mr. and Mrs. Peebles, Loretta Bird, and Chris Watters. Next, Munro shows the progression of the plot by describing the events that took place between the characters, especially Edie and Chris Watters. I looked at the title and at their relationship to make my inference that Chris was the future "husband" mentioned. (I'm sure I wasn't the only reader to make this prediction either.) The story takes a huge turn on page 145 (the second to last page) when the mailman is introduced. After fifteen previous pages of description, the unrelated resolution is revealed. In my opinion, Munro does this structure for the sole reason to keep the reader on his/her feet and to receive the unexpected. It makes the story much more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment