Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Bartleby - question # 4

Bartleby's constant and consistent response of "I would prefer not to" has little affect on Turkey, Nippers, Gingernut, and the lawyer's daily routine. Of course they are all a little taken back by his unusual response. When asked what he thought of the situation Turkey's own opinion was "Think of it?" he roared, "I think I'll just step behind his screen and black his eyes for him." (This was after twelve o'clock noon: his "crazy" period.) Nippers responded in a similar way - also during his different period of time. Other than there reactions, the men's routine was hardly changed. There had always been only the four of them writing and running errands, so Bartleby's lack of assistance went unnoticed most of the time. The main reason I think that the lawyer did not fire him after his first refusal was because he was a very quick copier. I also have a theory that he could not read, only copy words.

No comments:

Post a Comment