Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Apparition

I looked up the word "apparition" in Webster's Dictionary and received the following definitions:
1. an object or person appearing unusally
2. a visible spirt; ghost
3. one who appears or haunts unexpectedly
Each of these definitions reflect my interpretations of the poem. The speakers diction towards his ex lover is every creepy/spooky. He almost sounds similar to some kind of stalker? Words such as "muderess", "ghost", "repent", "scorn", and "threatenings" all reflect the tone of the work. The tone, in my opinion, is very haunting - made to sound creepy. Another aspect of the overall tone could be revenge. The speaker also makes an undefined threat to his ex lover in which reveals that he will make an unexpected haunting. This entire poem is sort of freaky for me. It reminds me of the movie disturbia in a way, about some freaky stalker rapist dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment